Frequently Asked Questions

Can students under 18 y/o participate in Work-Based Learning (WBL) activities in our industry?

 WBL activities may be possible for students throughout their educational experiences. Observational activities such as informational interviews, industry tours, and job shadows are much differently regulated than hands-on WBL such as internships, clinicals, field sites, apprenticeships, or cooperative education experiences. Minors may legally work in New Hampshire, labor regulations can be found at RSA 276-A:4, RSA 279:22-aa and Chapter LAB 800 and at: In the case of WBL, where industry is governed by both Federal and State Department of Labor laws, industry and education partners must adhere to the stricter of the two. 

What if liability prevents our company from working with minors?

In the case of paid WBL activities (apprenticeship, cooperative experiences), the employer’s Worker’s Compensation insurance covers the employee. In the case of non-paid WBL activities that are approved by the NH Department of Labor (NHDOL), school districts carry insurance, and carriers will provide industry partners with a copy of the school districts’ “Certificate of Coverage” for WBL.  

What if hazardous orders prohibit students from working in occupations at our company?

There are exemptions to hazardous equipment for students that are currently enrolled in and receiving safety training through Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs approved in the State of New Hampshire. “Can a youth work at a hazardous occupation under either of these programs? Yes, if the student is enrolled in a building trade, co-op program, apprenticeship or approved School-to-Work program under close supervision and if proper safety training is conducted and the hazardous work is incidental to training, intermittent and for short periods of time.” 

What if our HR Department states that we cannot provide students access to the work environment?

Company policy or a lack thereof may be the determining factor in allowing WBL partnership opportunities to be offered within your organization. Collaboration between local industry, education, workforce development, and state agencies can result safe, quality WBL activities, and supportive company policies. To start building your talent development pipeline contact the NH Department of Education, Career Development Bureau at 271-3867 or your local educational institutions.  

How do I know if and when interns are available?

Make sure to check in with Newport High School's School to Work Program coordinator, Guidance Department, or Sugar River Valley Regional Technical Center Director. They will work with your business when a student is interested in an internship in your industry. 

How can my business partner with the NHS School to Work Program or CTE Center?

There are several ways that business and industry can play a role in high school workforce development programs. Listed below are just a few of these ways:

  • Participate in Advisory Committees
  • Serve as a mentor and/or guest speaker for CTE classes/programs
  • Participate in Career Fairs held by Newport High School.
  • Provide Job-shadowing opportunities to assist students in identifying an educational path
  • Provide internship experiences for students enrolled in School to Work or CTE programs (Student Placement Programs)
  • Provide externships for School to Work or CTE teachers/faculty
  • Be an advocate in support of School to Work or CTE in the local community Work with counselors to raise awareness of career opportunities among students and parents

Remember, business and industry plays a vital role in the development of a future workforce - support career and technical educational programming.